Thursday, May 15, 2008

Financial Peace

In January Trevor and I began a 13 week course called Financial Peace University. Financial Peace University is a Biblically based, life-changing program that teaches you how to make the right decisions with your money. It was created by Dave Ramsey who has made it his vocation to help people with their money situation. I've been meaning to write about our experience in this class but I'm not sure I could do it justice. Plus, alot of this is personal and some of its hard to admit.

First off, its changed our lives. Completely!

Before we took this class things were tight, very tight. We lived paycheck to paycheck and seemed to be growing out credit card debt instead of our savings. I think both of us were in denial about our situation. We knew we had debt and I think we just assumed that some day it would get paid off. I was completely stressed out about money and nothing Trevor said or did made me feel any better. But then we enrolled in Financial Peace.

One of the most comforting things about this class was being in a room with people, both young and old, who were in the same place as us. In a crazy way it was comforting to know that our situation was far better then alot of people there. But it was nice to share stories, sorrows, hardships and excitement for the future. In our 13 weeks we learned about saving, paying off debt, insurance, investing and giving.

We are now on a budget which we do together every other week. We have cut up ALL of our credit cards and have not swiped a credit card (or debit card) in 5 months. We pay cash for EVERYTHING. We have a small savings set aside for emergencies, we have new and better insurance and most of all we have confidence. It is so invigorating. It is so refreshing. It is the best thing we have done for our family, marriage and life. We have a long road ahead of us but its a road that we are looking forward too.

I want everyone I know to take this class. Trevor and I regret that we did not take it sooner. So regardless of your age or your financial situation I highly recommend this class. It will change your life.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy this class was so helpful to you! What an enormous relief it is to be in charge of your own life instead! And you still get to take a trip to Vegas - how cool is that? Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete