Saturday, July 23, 2011

Summer


We are less then a month from school starting and I'm choosing to live in denial about it. People keep telling me that I'll be ready for it to start, that the routine will be good and it will finally get these kids (at least some of them) out of my hair for a good chunk of the day. Maybe that will be true as we get closer but right now I don't want it to start, I don't want the school routine to kick into gear and (at least at the moment) I don't want my kids out of my hair. Clearly I've lost my mind.

We've been enjoying our days and they've been busy. Carson doesn't nap anymore and if I can get him to lay down or rest for 30 minutes a day I'm lucky. He's not the greatest independent player so when he is awake he's busy having me help him with a project or showing me his latest Lego creation or asking me a million questions. Some days I want to pull out my hair but many times I've tried to really enjoy him because when school starts he'll be gone for most of the day and that quiet time we've been enjoying this summer will be gone.

He's growing like a weed too. Just since summer started he's gone from being 1/4 of an inch too short to ride the water slide to being 1/2 above the height minimum. And we can't keep him off it. He's swimming like a fish, he learned to ride his bike and we're busy learning to tie our shoes before 1st grade officially starts. 1st grade? I don't know how that happened.

It's been hot. Really hot! And humid. Mother Nature must have never been pregnant otherwise she wouldn't subject me to this sweaty gross weather. We've spent 6 of the last 7 days at the pool, the lake, running through the sprinkler or having water fights with our friends. Maybe one of these crazy boys will become a swimmer like their mommy.

I was at the doctor yesterday. The nurse went through my pre-op directions with me. While I was listening to her tell me "the rules" I kept wondering why she was telling me this information so soon. Then I realized that this baby will be here in just 6 weeks and 5 days from now. Yowza. We have done nothing to get ready for it. Nothing. Oh I got a diaper bag, if that counts. I think it does because after 3 kids I needed a cuter, more functional bag. So these next 6 weeks will go fast as we do some things around here to get ready for the baby.

So, if I'm not updating this then you can assume we're swimming, wrestling, getting ready for school. going to the movies, washing baby clothes, making a toddler bed for Bennett, trying to enjoy our last days as a family of five, grilling, trying not to sweat to death, having a BBQ, riding our bikes, playing at the playground and trying to soak up as much of summer as we can because these days are short and fast and the kids just keep growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment